In class, I think I have already mentioned, we've been watching and reading High Fidelity. I've got to say that although the book is always better, the film does a really great job of capturing the humor, self-deprication, and emotional turmoil of the book. I do however think the book pulls off the sarcasm a little better, but I don't want to go into why right now. I know, I know...defend your point, but I prefer to keep the reading coming back for more.
As I've been rereading this book, I've run into some parts that I find really introspective and (of course) hilarious.
In chapter 11, Rob goes to his folks' house, I guess to get some TLC. His mom always puts him on a guilt trip (In chapter two he explains that he and his mother swapped roles when he was nine years old.), but he holds a certain amount of affection for her anyway. So he goes to his parents' house, probably dreading seeing them a bit, and it turns out that they're not home. I can kind of feel the emptiness of the house. Anyway, they end up seeing him (They had only been across the stree.) and insist that he come with them to a movie. In the theater he sees another thirty-something, obviously in the same state, and loathes him. He refers to him as "The Most Pathetic Man In The World" -- TMPMITW.
In class we discussed this TMPMITW as a personification of all of Rob's self-criticism and fear.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment